Tuesday, February 12, 2019

NEUTROPENIA

Neutropenia doesn't sound like something you want.  And I guess it's not.  It means that your neutrophils, a type of white blood cell, are low.  This puts you at a great risk for infections.

I went to see Kathy, the NP yesterday.  Did bloodwork and everything looks great, except I'm neutropenic.  Not unexpected.  Just puts me at risk.

I need to be very vigilant about avoiding infection.  That means lots of hand washing, and generally avoiding humanity.  For the most part, I avoid humanity in my day-to-day life anyway. LOL   Just me and Robbie hanging out together, and whatever germs we have, we're already sharing.  Now Meghan is extra careful about hand and face washing when she comes home.  Michael said it might not be worth washing his hands, so he'll just stay away.  HAHAHA

I've instituted a no hugs/kissing/touching rule at church already, so I'm ok there.

I have some disposable masks.  I'll use them when/if it seems necessary.

I have to take my temperature every day.  I've been doing that.  Never above 98.6.  But if it goes above 100.4, they take action, figuring I've contracted an infection.


Overall the NP was amazed at how healthy I am.  Everything looks and sounds good.  Very very few minor side effects of the chemo.  My constant hunger is a good thing - way better than loss of appetite.  My little bit of elevated heartrate (which is about 75-80... normal for some people) is an annoyance, but not a big deal (and Lynne was right that excessive hydration brings it down).

I asked if the side effects will come as I continue through treatments.  She said she doubts it.  The only one that will accumulate is the fatigue.  Fatigue I get.  Fatigue I can manage, I think.  But the idea that I won't be suddenly struggling with mouth sores/nausea/constipation/diarrhea/etc etc etc (the list is LONG) is really encouraging.   If the biggest thing this does to me is fatigue and baldness, I'LL TAKE IT!!!


No hair loss yet.  I yank on it every day.   HA

And my tattoos arrived yesterday - so prepare yourself for a picture or two or eight, as I start using them. 

1 comment:

So 2019 is almost over...

And my medical magical mystery tour is behind me.  (You might be too young to get that reference!) My PET scan showed a funny thing on my ...