My mother had myelofibrosis (a blood disorder) and my father had lymphoma (large cell, which is scarier than my version). I have lymphoma. A connection? I figured maybe, but everyone in the medical world said no. So I had a huge panel of genetic testing done in September of 2017. In the original testing, everything came back negative. In September 2018 I got a call that in an update of things, they discovered that I had a mutation of the CHEK2 gene. That means a higher risk of breast, thyroid, prostate (luckily I don't have one of those!) and colon cancers. Wait - I already have lymphoma. Geesh. So I needed to do a breast MRI and a colonoscopy, despite having had clear annual mammograms and a clean colonoscopy at 50 (I'm really good about doing the testing that I should be doing). So I had a breast MRI in December (all clear) and a colonoscopy in January (small benign polyps were found). Next steps - Mammogram in June and colonoscopy in 5 years. Yay - that wasn't too hard!
Meanwhile, I had my annual PET scan Jan. 2, figuring it'd be the same old same old. That's where things went wrong...
Hey - but at least that CHEK2 mutation situation isn't an issue right now!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So 2019 is almost over...
And my medical magical mystery tour is behind me. (You might be too young to get that reference!) My PET scan showed a funny thing on my ...
-
I was heading into today with some dread, and not just because of the recovery I know I'm facing. I can handle that. Not fun, but I ca...
-
Well, it's actually just a power port. But it feels better to say SUPER POWER!!! (And obviously it must be all caps.) Thanks to my de...
-
My mother had myelofibrosis (a blood disorder) and my father had lymphoma (large cell, which is scarier than my version). I have lymphoma. ...
That's what you need to do!
ReplyDeleteLove you
ReplyDelete#knowledgeispower
ReplyDelete