Saturday, January 26, 2019

SO many tests, and the chemo hasn't started

Tuesday evening's decision turns into Wednesday morning's GO TIME.  Lynne got things started, and before I knew it, there were plans made for a port insertion, a bone marrow biopsy, a chemo education meeting with Dr. S's nurse practitioner, and an echocardiogram. Oh, and I have a temporary crown and need to get the permanent inserted, and my teeth cleaned, because they tell me you don't want to have dental work during chemo.

On a side note - I take care of my sweet Robinson M-F 7-4.  It's the greatest joy you could imagine.  So when I suddenly have a bunch of appointments, arrangements need to be made for Robbie's care.  Thank goodness for great friends.  Babysitters were scheduled pretty quickly.

An echocardiogram is not an EKG.  Learned that.   HAHA  It's more like an ultrasound of your heart.  I passed that one with flying colors.

The meeting with the NP to do chemo education was terrific.  She went through every medication in the R-CHOP mix, what they do, the side-effects I should expect, and the side effects that I might experience, but shouldn't expect.   She explained that I shouldn't live with nausea - there are meds to fix that, and she'll get them to me before we start. She explained the role of the "P" in R-CHOP - Prednisone, a steroid.  It should get me through the first days feeling pretty good.  She went through what was normal and what deserved a call.  She told me Dr. S told her to take extra good care of me, because I'm special.  I'M SPECIAL!!!  I've been trying to tell people that forever. ;)

So now it's just a few more things and I'll be ready to start chemo.  Shooting for Thursday Jan 31.




2 comments:

So 2019 is almost over...

And my medical magical mystery tour is behind me.  (You might be too young to get that reference!) My PET scan showed a funny thing on my ...